Limestone is a sedimentary rock and a naturally occurring object. The rock is the chemical combination of calcium carbonate or CaCO3. Calcium carbonate is present in calcite too.
Many refer to CaCO3 as limestone for the compound is the chief constituent of the rock.
Formation of limestone:
On the death of the marine creature, the body perishes. The only remnant is the calcium carbonate skeleton of the body. And this forms the limestone.
Limestone is, therefore, a carbonated form of the rock that makes up most of the seabed. The rock is a mineral that has a wide range of applications.
Types of limestone
Limestone has two broad classifications depending on the nature of origin:
1. Mechanical transportation and deposition of the pre-existing limestones that form clastic deposits.
2. Biogenic precipitation from seawater. The primary precipitating agents include lime-secreting organisms as well as foraminifera.
And now, the common varieties of limestone are chalk, caliche, travertine, and tufa. Sparite, and micrite.
Different uses of limestone
Limestone is one of the most widely used forms of mineral rock. There are multiple industries that look for the top limestone manufacturer in India to procure the best quality of calcium carbonate.
So, it’s time to know about the industries that are benefitting from the use of the mineral.
1. Use of limestone in the construction industry
The strength of limestone is already a universal fact. The rock is valuable, especially for the construction industry. The manufacturers will quarry the rock for the companies associated with building and construction works.
Therefore, the manufacturer will divide the stone into blocks or slabs of the necessary dimension. The common applications in this industry include floor tiles, sculptors, stair treads, window sills, and more.
Do you know that the world-famous Pyramid o Giza standing in Egypt comprises limestone? It will certainly help you to realize the innate strength of the material.
Additionally, the clay content of limestone helps in using the mineral for producing cement. Limestone aggregates can play a significant role in railroad and road construction.
2. Use of limestone in agriculture
The limestone deposits contain a major concentration of calcium carbonate in the compound form. And this compound can aid in the farming sector.
- The suppliers can crush the stone into smaller particles as well as different grades as per requirement.
- The product enters the mainstream agricultural market as the Aglime or agricultural line that can neutralize soil acidity
- Aglime can also free up the soil minerals like phosphate.
Therefore, limestone is an important element in the agriculture industry.
3. Industrial use of limestone
it should not come as a surprise that many industries are using limestone in multiple ways. the rising demand for limestone suppliers in India shows that many industries are depending on the use of limestone in one form or the other.
- Industries like textile, plastic, glass, paper, rubber and paint prefer using the powdered form of limestone.
- The mineral serves as fillers in most industries.
- Limestone plays a vital role in the removal of impurities during the production process of steel.
- The compound finds its way into cosmetic and pharmaceutical products too.
You can even find the presence of limestone in the baking soda and some toothpaste too.
4. Miscellaneous uses
There is a high demand for crushed limestone these days.
- Apparently, these serve as filler stones in the on-site disposal systems of sewage.
- The powdered form of limestone can absorb pollutants and control mine dust at several coal-mining facilities.
Besides, lime is the by-product of limestone. And it can neutralize acids. Water treatment is also possible with the help of lime. Nowadays, treating industrial sludge, water supplies, and animal wastes is possible with the help of limestone.
In the field of visual arts, artists use a combination of limestone and clay to make statues. The white tint is the chief reason for this combination. The creation of a brilliant white hue is possible if you mix clay and limestone.
And the mineral serves as a filler in different beauty products as well.
Hence, you should look for the top and most reliable suppliers if you need limestone for some vital applications. The use of genuine quality limestone is necessary to experience genuine features.